This prize celebrates the women entrepreneurs behind Europe’s game-changing innovations
The 2022 edition of the prize is closed. The six winners were announced on 7 December 2022 at the European Innovation Council Summit. Press release: EIC unveils winners of awards (europa.eu)
The next edition of the European Prize for Women Innovators will be launched in spring 2023.
The EU Prize for Women Innovators celebrates the women entrepreneurs behind game-changing innovations. In doing so, the EU seeks to raise awareness of the need for more women innovators, and create role models for women and girls everywhere.
The prize is awarded to the most talented women entrepreneurs from across the EU and countries associated to Horizon Europe, who have founded a successful company and brought innovation to the market. The prize is managed by the European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency, and the winners are chosen by an independent expert jury.
There are two prize categories:
- Women Innovators category: three prizes of EUR 100 000 each awarded to the most talented women innovators from across the EU and Associated Countries
- Rising Innovators category: three prizes of EUR 50 000 each awarded to the most promising young innovators under 35
Eligible applicants can only apply to one category.
Who should apply
The prize is open to:
- Women (this prize celebrates women in all their diversity)
- Established in an EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country
- Who have founded an innovative company registered at least 2 years before the call year
Those applying for the Rising Innovators category must be under 35. There is no age limit to apply for the Women Innovators category.
Eligible applications will be evaluated against 3 award criteria:
- Breakthrough innovation – the company founded or co-founded by the applicant provides a truly innovative product or service in the EU market.
- Impact – the product or service addresses a specific societal need or challenge, with significant benefits for people and/or planet.
- Inspiration – the applicant has played a pivotal role in the success of the company, and considers themselves a role model for other women and girls.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022 edition of the prize have now closed. Applicants can consult the following documents:
- 8 March 2022Contest open
- 18 August 2022(17:00 CET )Deadline for applications
- November 2022Announcement of finalists
- December 2022Announcement of winners
Statistics 2019 - 2022
Increase in applications from 2019 to 2022
Split per category in 2022
Discover the winners of previous editions, and read their inspiring stories.
For more information, please contact us at EISMEA-WIP@ec.europa.eu
You can also follow us on Twitter with the hashtag #WiPrizeEU.
- News article
European Social Innovation Competition: 2023 edition now open for applications
The Commission launched today the 11th edition of the European Social Innovation Competition. The prize promotes the potential of social innovation to provide solutions to societal challenges and to foster sustainable and inclusive growth in Europe.
- News article
European Prize for Humanitarian Innovation: first edition kicks off
The Commission launched the first edition of the European Prize for Humanitarian Innovation (InnovAid) at the European Humanitarian Forum, on 21 March 2023.
- News article
European Capital of Innovation Awards 2023 edition kicks off
The Commission launched today the ninth edition of the European Capital of Innovation Awards (iCapital). The prize is awarded to European cities open to innovations that benefit their citizens.
- Competitions and award ceremonies