What can you expect as part of EIC Transition?
EIC Transition funds innovation activities that go beyond the experimental proof of principle in laboratory to supports both:
- the maturation and validation of your novel technology in the lab and in relevant application environments
- the development of a business case and (business) model towards the innovation’s future commercialisation.
Grants of up to €2.5million and more are available to validate and demonstrate technology in application-relevant environment and develop market readiness.
EIC Transition has open funding for projects in any field of science or technology as well as challenge driven funding on specific strategic fields.
Single applicants (SMEs, spin-offs, start-ups, research organisations, universities) or small consortia (max 5 partners) may apply.
As Transition funding is a new scheme of Horizon Europe, for 2021 it is restricted to applications based on results generated by the following eligible projects:
- EIC Pathfinder projects (including projects funded under EIC pilot Pathfinder, Horizon 2020 FET-Open, FET-Proactive, FET Flagships and FET ERAnet calls)
- European Research Council (ERC) Horizon 2020 Proof of Concept projects
You will need to demonstrate that you are the owner, Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) holder, or have the necessary rights to commercialise the results from one of these eligible projects.
The majority of funding will be awarded through open calls with no predefined thematic priorities.
This Open Funding is designed to enable support for any technologies and innovations that cut across different scientific, technological, sectoral and application fields or represent novel combinations.
Strategic EIC Transition Challenges
- Challenge: Medical Technology and Devices: from Lab to Patient:
Proposals submitted to this call can target any technology addressing important health needs in the direct clinical treatment and care of patients.
- Challenge: Energy harvesting and storage technologies:
The proposals will aim at developing energy storage technologies or combined energy harvesting/storage technologies ready for investment and business development.
Support for applicants
Is EIC Transition for you?
- Have you identified Pathfinder, FET or ERC Proof of Concept project results that could be the basis for ground-breaking innovations and new businesses?
- Is this novel technology ready for the next steps towards its maturation and validation in some specific applications?
- Do you envisage building a motivated and diverse entrepreneur-lead team to develop the idea and increase its market readiness?
Before you take a decision to apply, look carefully at the criteria and objectives in the EIC Work Programme and assess if your project is in line with them.
Seal of Excellence
Applications that meet all the criteria, but are not recommended for funding due to budget limits, will be awarded a Seal of Excellence to help them secure funding from other sources. Companies with a Seal of Excellence can also get support from EIC Business Acceleration Services. To be eligible for a Seal of Excellence you must give consent to sharing some basic information about your application with other funding and support organisations.
EIC Transition news
The European Commission has launched the Women Leadership Programme
The European Innovation Council (EIC) launched today a call for expression of interest for the new EIC Board.
€100 million in 2021 for turning research results into innovation opportunities
Joint statement of ERC and EIC on stronger cooperation in order to reinforce the best European talent in research and innovation
The presentations from the information day on synergies between the ERC Proof of Concept programme and the EIC Transition programme are available now...