This prize celebrates the women entrepreneurs behind Europe’s ground-breaking innovations
For the 2023 – 2024 edition, the European Innovation Council and the European Institute for Innovation & Technology have teamed up to create a bigger and bolder European Prize for Women Innovators, with no fewer than 9 prizes to be awarded.
Applications will open in June 2023 and close on 27 September 2023 at 17:00 CET.
The European Prize for Women Innovators celebrates the women entrepreneurs behind Europe's most ground-breaking innovations. The prize awards women from across the EU and countries associated to Horizon Europe, whose disruptive innovations are driving positive change for people and planet.
The prize is managed jointly by the European Innovation Council and SMEs Executive Agency and the European Institute for Innovation & Technology. The winners are chosen by an independent expert jury.
There are three prize categories:
- The Women Innovators prize, awarded to the most talented women innovators from across the EU and Associated Countries. The winner is awarded EUR 100 000, and two runners-up are awarded EUR 70 000 and EUR 50 000 respectively;
- The Rising Innovators prize, awarded to promising young innovators under the age of 35. The winner is awarded EUR 50 000, and two runners-up are awarded EUR 30 000 and EUR 20 000 respectively;
- The EIT Women Leadership Award, awarded to exceptional women leaders from the EIT Community The winner is awarded EUR 50 000, and two runners-up are awarded EUR 30 000 and EUR 20 000 respectively.
Eligible applicants can only apply to one category.
Who should apply
The prize is open to:
- Women (this prize celebrates women in all their diversity)
- Established in an EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country
- Who have founded an innovative company registered at least 2 years before the call year
Those applying for the Rising Innovators category must be under 35. There is no age limit to apply for the Women Innovators or EIT Women Leadership prize.
Eligible applications will be evaluated against 3 award criteria:
- Breakthrough innovation – the company or organisation founded or cofounded by the applicant is pioneering a breakthrough and disruptive innovation within the EU or countries associated to Horizon Europe.
- Impact – This innovation addresses a real need or challenge, with significant benefits for people and/or planet.
- Inspiration – the applicant is an inspiring leader, who has played a pivotal role in the success of the company or organisation. The applicant is a role model who inspires and empowers other women and girls.
- June 2023Contest open
- 27 September 2023 (17:00 CET )Deadline for applications
- February 2024Announcement of finalists
- March 2024Announcement of winners
Statistics 2019 - 2022
Increase in applications from 2019 to 2022
Split per category in 2022
Discover the winners of previous editions, and read their inspiring stories.
For more information, please contact us at EISMEA-WIP@ec.europa.eu or email@example.com.
You can also follow us on social media with the hashtag #WiPrizeEU.
- News article
Scaling up with the European Innovation Council: launch of the new initiative to support Europe’s future deep tech champions
Commission launched the EIC Scale Up 100 initiative. Its goal is to identify, promote, and support the growth of 100 promising Europe’s deep tech companies with the potential to become ‘unicorns’ (exceeding €1 billion valuation).
- News article
The European Innovation Procurement Awards 2023 are open for applications
The 2023 race to find the most innovative procurers in the European Union has started! The third edition of the European Innovation Procurement Awards (EUIPA) has been launched today by the European Commission. The contestants can submit their applications until 17 August 2023 (17:00:00 CET).
- News article
European Social Innovation Competition: 2023 edition now open for applications
The Commission launched today the 11th edition of the European Social Innovation Competition. The prize promotes the potential of social innovation to provide solutions to societal challenges and to foster sustainable and inclusive growth in Europe.