Dr. Van Bieervlieet has 20 years of cross-disciplinary experience in the medical, business and biotech environments. Prior to his position as Managing Director in the general management of VIB:
- he trained as a veterinary internal medicine specialist at Cornell University,
- was accredited by the American College of Veterinary Internal medicine and
- continued with a PhD at VIB finishing with a land-mark paper in Science.
After his clinical and research training, Dr. Van Biervliet started as a consultant at Bain & Company, advising especially in private equity transactions.
Over the last 10 years, he has been in various roles in the VIB Innovation and Business office of VIB.
- As the Head of Business Development, Dr. Van Biervliet is responsible for the BD team driving all industry collaborations, licensing of VIB assets and strategic collaborations.
- He was the founder and Head of VIB Discovery Sciences, an internal drug discovery unit at VIB with a team of industry-trained scientists creating a portfolio of innovative projects.
Dr. Van Biervliet is currently Managing Director for VIB as an institute in a tandem with his colleague Jo Bury and holds end-responsibility for all of the Innovation & Business activities.