The European Innovation Council (EIC) received 371 project proposals for its 25 October 2023 EIC Pathfinder cut-off. The 371 proposals included a total of 2077 participants and requested €1.3 billion in grant support. The proposals are divided over the five EIC Pathfinder Challenges as follows:
- 116 proposals under Responsible electronics
- 81 proposals under Precision nutrition
- 69 proposals under Clean and efficient cooling
- 66 proposals under Architecture, Engineering and Construction digitalisation for a novel triad of design, fabrication, and materials
- 39 proposals under In-space solar energy harvesting for innovative space applications
Applicants are coming from 41 countries. The total indicative budget for this call is €163.5 million which is expected to be allocated in approximately equal shares across the Challenges. The evaluation process has begun, and the results will be available in March 2024.
With its Pathfinder programme, the EIC supports the exploration of bold ideas for radically new technologies. It welcomes the high-risk/ high gain and interdisciplinary cutting-edge science collaborations that underpin technological breakthroughs.
The EIC Pathfinder Challenges provides funding for projects with thematic priorities. Grants of up to €4 million support early-stage development of future technologies (e.g. various activities at low Technology Readiness Levels 1-3), up to proof of concept. Pathfinder projects benefit from interactions with EIC Programme Managers and can receive additional funding for testing the innovation potential of their research outputs or for working across projects for portfolio actions.
- Publication date
- 15 November 2023