EIC pilot Advisory Board
Until end May 2021, the role of the EIC Board is undertaken by the EIC pilot Advisory Board set up in 2019, whose members are listed here. A call for expressions of interest will be launched in April for membership of the EIC Board.
Professor of Leadership and Innovation, Director, The Garden - Center for Design and Leadership, Stockholm School of Economics
The Board had its first meeting in September 2019. Since then, it has held 9 plenary meetings in total (with the final meeting held on 30 April 2021) as well as numerous meetings of the different working groups:
- First Plenary Meeting
- Second Plenary Meeting
- Third Plenary Meeting
- Fourth Plenary Meeting
- Fifth Plenary Meeting
- Sixth Plenary Meeting
- Seventh Plenary Meeting
- Eighth Plenary Meeting
- Ninth Plenary Meeting
On 27 April 2020, the EIC pilot Advisory Board released a statement with its vision for a future role of the EIC under Horizon Europe, the EU’s next framework programme for research and innovation (2021 – 2027).
Building upon the vision statement, on 30 June 2020 the Board published its Vision and Roadmap for Impact that constituted a stepping-stone towards a fully-fledged EIC that will help European innovators lead the next wave of technological transformations.
The EIC Advisory Board has also produced several input papers feeding into the Vision and Roadmap for Impact and contributing to a range of discussions within the group:
- Position paper on Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- The Pathfinder Dimension of the EIC
- European Innovation Council engagement with global corporates: a win-win proposition
In addition, the Board and its various working groups have provided extensive advice for the implementation of the EIC, helping design the new features for the full EIC:
- Development of the communication strategy and the new EIC brand
- Redesign of the application process for the EIC accelerator as a continuously open for short applications
- Reinforced EIC engagement with global corporates, including multicorporate days on Green Deal (2020) and Energy (2021)
- Statement on technological sovereignty
- Statement on supporting researchers to protect and commercialise results
- Statement on gender and diversity
The Board has built collaborations with the European Institute for Innovation and Technology (EIT) and European Research Council (ERC).
Board members have acted as ambassadors of the EIC speaking at numerous events and played a prominent role in the launch event of the EIC on 18 March 2021, where the Board also published a statement to accompany the launch of the full EIC
From 2016 to 2018, the former High-Level Group of Innovators advised the Commission on the EIC pilot (2018 – 2021), and provided guidance on the design of a fully-fledged EIC for the next European research and innovation framework programme.
Documents and statements
- News article
Joint statement of ERC and EIC on stronger cooperation in order to reinforce the best European talent in research and innovation